Tuesday, June 8, 2010

summer soundtrack.

When I got home from work tonight, Daniel was watching I Am Trying to Break Your Heart - A Film About Wilco. It shows all the issues and problems the band had while recording Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (one of my favorites!!!). Hearing the songs from that album made me get a funny little feeling in my chest...and then it hit me - Wilco is one of my summer bands...not that I don't enjoy them year-round, but there's just something about the feeling I get when I listen to them in the summer.

SO...it made me think about my summer soundtrack. I've been listening to the same stuff since it heated up a bit (pretty much), and I'd like to share it with you.

1. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

















We have this album in the CD player at work...it's my go-to album when I first get there...I just can't seem to get enough of it. I can't get enough Wilco PERIOD lately. I think my boss is rubbing off on me...he's pretty much obsessed.

2. Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News


















For some reason, I get nostalgic in the summer. Nostalgia is usually associated with autumn, but I seem to reminisce more during the summer...maybe it's because I hate summertime so much. There were many, many weekends I would come visit Daniel when I lived in Tuscaloosa that I stayed at some of his bandmate's house. Jarrod usually had this album (or any Modest Mouse album, really) playing. I just get that "feel-good" feeling when I hear it.

3. She & Him - Volume One


















Maybe it's my obsession with Zooey Deschanel...or maybe it's my new-found love for female vocalists...whatever the case, I can't stop listening to this album. I love Volume Two as well, but this one hasn't left the CD player in my car since I put it in. I love singing along with the windows down...when I can bear the heat enough to roll the windows down...such a good feeling.

4. The Ettes - Look At Life Again Soon


















Again, loving the female vocalist. I got to see The Ettes open up for The Dead Weather back in April, and they were amazing. This album is upbeat and so, so much fun to sing along to (which is probably why Daniel doesn't like it so much...he hates sing-a-longs).

5. The Civil Wars - Poison & Wine EP


















I actually just got this EP Saturday night, so I haven't listened to it much yet...HOWEVER, I saw them live Saturday night and they were absolutely incredible. They're going into the studio soon to finish their full-length and I can't wait!!! Joy Williams has the voice of an angel. Also, they did a cover of "Billie Jean" which just so happens to be my favorite Michael Jackson song.

6. Kings of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood


















This is still my favorite Kings of Leon album. It's one of those "roll-your-windows-down-and-sing-as-loud-as-you-can" albums for me...usually makes me dance at stoplights and such. I love all of their newer stuff as well, but this album just sounds like summer to me...dirty, sweaty summer.

7. French Kicks - Swimming


















Apparently, my summer music taste switches between dirty rock&roll and music that's a little on the lighter side. This album falls more on the lighter side. I've been listening to the French Kicks since I was in high school and I never get tired of them...they just keep getting better. Plus, my cousin Josh plays guitar/keys for them...so that's pretty cool.

8. The White Stripes - White Blood Cells


















Back to the dirty rock&roll...I can't get enough of Jack White...pretty much all I have to say about that.

9. Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker


















Ryan Adams voice breaks my heart in the best possible way. Daniel & I have had the privilege of seeing him live 3 times. I love all of his albums, but this one is my current favorite.

10. The Black Keys - Magic Potion


















I guess I'll end with The Black Keys. I'm completely hooked on them now. We watched them on Letterman last week and they were incredible! I haven't gotten a chance to listen to their new album yet, but this one is my current favorite.

I suppose 10 albums is enough for a summer soundtrack.

What's your summer sound like?

No comments:

Post a Comment